POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : London under siege, a reply : Re: London under siege, a reply Server Time
1 Jun 2024 23:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: London under siege, a reply
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2017 18:19:07
Message: <59387bdb$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 23:07:30 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> When we had a school massacre in Dunblane. Our politicians tightened up
> our gun laws. But I understand that would be political suicide in the
> states. So it won't be done unless the unthinkable happens.

The unthinkable has happened here in the US.  Several times.  The answer
is always "more guns".  Ridiculous.

But let it be an "Islamic Terrorist," and we're willing to give away ALL
of our freedoms.  How much money did we waste over here on those damn
backscatter X-Ray machines?  Billions.  Know what?  They replaced them
recently - with dogs.  The dogs were shown to be more effective.  Last
time I flew somewhere (last year), I had to put my shoes *BACK ON* and
put my laptop back in my bag because the dogs were that much more
effective.  I held up the line because I'd followed the old nonsensical
procedures.

Seems we could've figured that shit out 15 years ago and saved a ton of
money.

But hey, now it sounds like because of the threat of possible exploding
laptops from certain countries, they'll probably have to be checked for
most international flights.  Because in the hold is so much safer.  Along
with a planeload of bored passengers because they don't have their
laptops or tablets, and didn't think to bring a book or six.

And, of course, we have the privilege of paying the airlines to check our
electronics now, too.  Hurray, capitalism. <grump>

Jim