POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Uh-oh : Re: Uh-oh Server Time
25 Jun 2024 23:58:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jun 2017 17:23:49
Message: <5935cbe5$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/5/2017 8:42 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2017-06-05 10:33 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:

>> You might consider buying the fan from Amazon and using the video for
>> instructions.
>
> That wouldn't be nice.

Gosh! An American with a sense of honour. You are a dying breed. ;)
(Sorry, could not resist. :) )

> Besides, it's too late; I ordered one as soon as
> they opened for business Monday morning.  (I would have ordered earlier
> on-line, but I had questions.  Good thing too, because they had just
> gotten an order from Guam, and were still in the process of informing
> their computer system that the USA has territories.)

I suppose you must be used to that sort of thing.

> I told them the
> video is the reason that I'm paying more for their fan.

Good feedback.

> But even with shipping, they saved me money on the Genuine Dell power cord.
>
>> If the Amazon fan is a genuine replacement. That would be
>> best.
>
> The supplier said that with counterfeit parts floating around, I could
> never be sure.  But of course she would say that.

Naturally, but it is true.

>> If you are not confident doing it yourself. It might be an idea to
>> ask one of the computer repair shops to do it for the cost of the labour
>> if you supply the parts.
>
> I'd do that if they didn't have a 3 week waiting list.

Did not think of that. :(

>>> I'm looking to buy a replacement power cord for them as well.  My
>>> battery won't charge, which is serious, because my backwards third world
>>> country has power outages almost every day.  I've exhausted almost all
>>> local options; the last chance is paying OfficeMax through the nose for
>>> a Genuine Dell power cord, and the remote supplier has 'em cheaper. (But
>>> then there is shipping.)
>>
>> Are you sure it is not the battery? Every one of my laptop batteries has
>> died the death because I keep my laptop plugged in. They don't like it.
>
> The battery's fine.  It only stopped charging when the computer
> complained that it could not recognize the power supply and *told* me it
> may refuse to charge the battery.

Grrr! That really annoys me. Sometimes it seems more cost effective to
buy a new printer than to buy a genuine replacement ink cartridge. But
being the toerag I am. I will go out of my way to cheat them and save
the planet. That behaviour is immoral imo.

> I've heard that newer computers know when to back off charging the
> battery.  After 4 years, mine shows no sign of discharging abnormally.
> (The battery in my last laptop crapped out after 5 years, and I could
> see the deterioration over the last couple of years.)

Good, I am pleased to hear that. :D

> Web searches all point to the power cord being the culprit for my symptoms.

A plug, two wires and a connector, would you believe it? Worse than Apple.

But I am glad you have been sorted out.

--

Regards
     Stephen