POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Uh-oh : Re: Uh-oh Server Time
26 Jun 2024 00:09:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Jun 2017 15:42:39
Message: <5935b42f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-06-05 10:33 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:
> On 6/5/2017 2:17 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> The hardest part would be a software guy like me
>> fiddling with screwdrivers.  I will most likely end up buying from an
>> off-island supplier who posted a video on how to do the replacement, for
>> considerably more than $12.  I'd consider it a gratuity for the video.
>
> You might consider buying the fan from Amazon and using the video for
> instructions.

That wouldn't be nice.  Besides, it's too late; I ordered one as soon as
they opened for business Monday morning.  (I would have ordered earlier
on-line, but I had questions.  Good thing too, because they had just
gotten an order from Guam, and were still in the process of informing
their computer system that the USA has territories.)  I told them the
video is the reason that I'm paying more for their fan.

But even with shipping, they saved me money on the Genuine Dell power cord.

> If the Amazon fan is a genuine replacement. That would be
> best.

The supplier said that with counterfeit parts floating around, I could
never be sure.  But of course she would say that.

> If you are not confident doing it yourself. It might be an idea to
> ask one of the computer repair shops to do it for the cost of the labour
> if you supply the parts.

I'd do that if they didn't have a 3 week waiting list.

>> I'm looking to buy a replacement power cord for them as well.  My
>> battery won't charge, which is serious, because my backwards third world
>> country has power outages almost every day.  I've exhausted almost all
>> local options; the last chance is paying OfficeMax through the nose for
>> a Genuine Dell power cord, and the remote supplier has 'em cheaper. (But
>> then there is shipping.)
>
> Are you sure it is not the battery? Every one of my laptop batteries has
> died the death because I keep my laptop plugged in. They don't like it.

The battery's fine.  It only stopped charging when the computer
complained that it could not recognize the power supply and *told* me it
may refuse to charge the battery.

I've heard that newer computers know when to back off charging the
battery.  After 4 years, mine shows no sign of discharging abnormally.
(The battery in my last laptop crapped out after 5 years, and I could
see the deterioration over the last couple of years.)

Web searches all point to the power cord being the culprit for my symptoms.