POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Uh-oh : Re: Uh-oh Server Time
22 Jun 2024 21:53:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jun 2017 03:26:53
Message: <593507bd$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/5/2017 7:49 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 4-6-2017 15:08, Stephen wrote:
>> On 6/4/2017 1:36 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>>> The fan on my computer just became louder, and I thought I detected an
>>> unpleasant smell during my last render.
>>>
>>> Looks like I won't be doing any renders until I get the fan replaced.
>>
>> Gulp! Good that you caught it early.
>>

> Maybe cleaning away the accumulated dust on the fan will be enough. I
> have experienced loud noises before and that was the solution (with
> compressed air... carefully).

I've never thought that using compressed air was a good idea. Unless you
can take the fan out of the machine it just blows it elsewhere. And they
are expensive. I use a clean paintbrush and a vacuum cleaner with an
extension.

About a month ago I noticed a fan on my PC that I had not cleaned for 3
years. It took me over an hour to get access to it and I had to remove
the fan controller. Now one of fans is reporting a speed of zero. The
temperature is okay but I will need to strip the m/c down again to check
it. The fan controller is not very good. (AeroCool Touch-2000)

--

Regards
     Stephen