POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What font / typeface do you use for your editor? : Re: What font / typeface do you use for your editor? Server Time
26 Jun 2024 08:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What font / typeface do you use for your editor?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 4 Jun 2017 16:53:46
Message: <5934735a@news.povray.org>
On 2017-05-26 01:06 PM (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:
> I was just looking around for something pleasing to the eye, but with the
> crucial distinctions between 1 and l, O and 0.
>
> I came across things like this:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts/
>
> And was just wondering if anyone had a clear favorite.
>
> (Also interested in nice typefaces for math symbols like that double-stroke
> style used for "all real numbers", etc.

I have no idea, actually.  I use the default font in KWrite for
openSUSE, and the settings dialog just says "Monospace."  Strangely, it
resembles Consolas, even though I'm not using a Microsoft OS.

________________________

I am more conscientious about the monospace font I use in my Object
Collection documentation.  In the past I've just used Courier New
because I'm confident that most users would have that font; however, it
is hardly the best looking monospace font out there.  Consolas is hands
down the best looking to me, primarily because it's the only monospace
font I have with letter spacing that looks good when interspersed with
proportional text.  However, this uniqueness means that for me to switch
to Consolas would mean some ugly-looking text if the user did not have
this particular font installed.  Therefore, I've made the somewhat
regrettable decision to list a bunch of fonts in the CSS file with
Courier New near the end; kern whatever font actually shows up in the
user's browser; and exclude Consolas from the list, because the kerning
ruins Consolas.  :(

My current list is Lucida Console, Liberation Mono, Courier New, DejaVu
Sans Mono, and monospace, in that order.

I would be spared this dilemma if CSS had some way of changing a
selector depending on which font happens to be installed.  I like Consolas.

So far, I've gotten no feedback on my Object Collection contributions,
so my selections must be acceptable either way.