POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Solar System : Re: Solar System Server Time
12 May 2024 07:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solar System
From: Stephen
Date: 31 May 2017 09:06:15
Message: <592ebfc7$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/31/2017 12:39 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
>> I'm not too sure what I am seeing. I guess that the sun is on the LHS of
>> the animation and the white dots are the minor planets. Looking from
>> above the plane of the solar system.
>>
>> It is not what I expected to see. But then reality is overrated IMO. :)
>
> You are correct in your interpretation.
> It's certainly not what I expected to see either - although keep in mind that I
> have NO data on how big those "minor planets" are - they could be pebbles for
> all I know.

I love your acronym NERTS :)

> It's interesting to see the accumulating objects when the test data
> sets are increased from 100, to 100, to 10000, .....

Is that what your animation is doing, increasing the data sets as well
as position?
I expected to see a band of rocks constantly orbiting between Mars and
Jupiter. Maybe I read too much SF. ;)

> A frame takes a mere 2.5 minutes to read all that data and parse all of those
> spheres.   I'd like to figure out a faster way, and maybe something with a wee
> bit less demand on memory.

I was going to say that it might be quicker if you could load the data
into a Virtual disk. But that would take up more memory. :(
Maybe one of the smart people could help.

> I just thought it would be cool to "populate" the solar system model with some
> of the other stuff that's out there.   I had NO idea that there was SO MUCH.
> :O

I knew there were a lot but seeing a visualisation puts it in
perspective. I wonder if there is an available data set of all the space
junk whizzing around the Earth?

>> There is an option to prevent Windoze sleeping in Pov's Render menu.
>> (Fourth from the bottom.)
>
> I would guess (hope) I had that checked, but sometimes things get a bit
> discombobulated, what with different computers and OS's and versions ...
> I will check.

I only use windows and can't remember setting the option.

--

Regards
     Stephen