POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: re Cassini : Re: re Cassini Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: re Cassini
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 May 2017 06:59:18
Message: <5916e706@news.povray.org>
On 13-5-2017 12:03, Stephen wrote:
>>> So say thee, now.
>>> At the time you had a lot to say about it. :-)
>>
>> We did, we did! We are of the bragging sort. See our period paintings.
>> :-)
>>

> Funny, how whenever we imagine ourselves in the past. We are almost
> always well off.

All joking aside, the wealth is what remains tangible I think, more than
poverty and decrepitude which are rapidly erased by the wear and tear of
history and age.

Interestingly, in that respect, there has been a book published recently
of letters from wives to sailors on the Dutch ships during the wars we
fought against each others. Those letters were intercepted by English
privateers and so never reached destination. It is amazing to see how
literate those humble women were in those days; reading and writing was
rather common and especially the reading of gazettes, which were also
sent alongside the letters.

>>> Good luck with that, then. They are an unruly lot. Much want to rabble
>>> and rouse. Once they get the scent of pink gin. They are harder to herd
>>> than cats.
>>>

>> Water be the strongest drink then. The Thames can be put to good use for
>> that.
>
> Now that that is going too far. Where's this famed Dutch courage?

Indeed, where?

--
Thomas