POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) Server Time
16 Jun 2024 06:06:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 6 May 2017 18:58:53
Message: <590e552d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-05-06 06:04 AM (-4), Stephen wrote:
> The best being, when I was working in Nigeria for Total.
> "I'm glad we were colonised by the English not the French."
> Quite a few layers of meaning, there. :)

This reminds me of what I was told about Botswana while I was visiting
South Africa.  During the 19th century, King Khama III of Botawana saw
all the territory around him being taken by Cecil Rhodes, and he did not
like what he was seeing.  So he appealed directly to the British crown
to become a British protectorate.  (Wikipedia tells a different story,
but the gist is the same.)  The strategy seems to have worked, as
Botswana has avoided the strife that plagued much of southern Africa
during the 20th century.

To complete the irony, after the conclusion of its savage civil war,
Mozambique, which had never been a British colony, joined the British
Commonwealth!

We in the U.S. Virgin Islands just celebrated the 100th anniversary of
the sale of the Danish West Indies to the USA.  Barely asked among the
"important" people was the obvious question: why is being a colony of
the USA cause for celebration over being a colony of Denmark?

One possible answer would be constitutional protections--except that
such protections don't automatically apply to the territories.  While
the U.S. Constitution mandates republican governments for the states,
territorial sovereignty is granted directly to Congress, and application
constitutional rights is determined by court cases, most importantly the
Insular Cases.  Our democratic institutions in the islands and our very
USA citizenship are at the mercy of Congress (regardless of what
comforting lies Puerto Rican politicians tell themselves).

Then there is the little fact that many USAmericans do not want to face:
  that, in general, the Danish are happier and live better than
Americans do.  Oh yeah, and the Virgin Islands have totally fallen
through the considerable cracks in the Affordable Care Act (not that I
want it repealed or anything).

One constitutional protection that recently seems to have put us in a
better position is equal protection under law prescribed by the 14th
Amendment.  In 2015, our local judiciary agreed that Obergefell v.
Hodges applied to the Virgin Islands, thus legalizing gay marriage here.
  In Greenland and the Faroe Islands, the issue was devolved, meaning
that if we were still under Danish rule, the issue would have been left
to our homophobic legislature.  It is not lost on me that in this one
case, colonialism resulted in greater rights for us.

Yet that very issue is still being debated in American Samoa, the one
territory whose residents Congress has not seen fit to grant USA
citizenship.