POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) Server Time
16 Jun 2024 05:37:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...)
From: Stephen
Date: 5 May 2017 06:02:50
Message: <590c4dca$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/4/2017 9:46 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2017-05-04 01:50 PM (-4), Stephen wrote:
>> In Kingston, no one mentioned the name but after I showed my power
>> (don't ask but if I were a woman I would have been a spaewife, it is a
>> long story) lots of people spoke to me.
>
> Jamaicans are still falling for that kind of trick?  Columbus got the
> indigenous Jamaicans (Tainos) to enslave themselves to him after he told
> them that his God was angry with them and would make the Sun disappear.
> Then the Sun disappeared.  The Tainos surrendered to Columbus, and
> Columbus called on Yahweh and/or Jesus to bring the Sun back, and the
> Sun came back.

That story has been repeated so many time in fiction I had forgotten the
origin. I thought it was the conquistadores and the Aztecs.
It's not fair to criticise the Jamaicans for believing in something
other than/as well as, the major religions. It is the same the world
over. A lot of people want there to be something more than what there
is. My grandmother a firm C of E believer, had trigger thumb for years.
Until she went to a Billy Graham meeting. Where she was cured,
instantly. ^ ^

> It's too bad for history that Columbus hadn't sailed a few centuries
> earlier and met the Mayans instead of the Tainos.  They would have
> responded, "Yes, Señor Colón, we know there's a solar eclipse tomorrow."

Going by the actions of the Europeans at the time. The response would
have been.
Bang! ;)

I've worked abroad a lot. And it is often an embarrassment to be British
because of our colonial past.

--

Regards
    Oga Stephen (Oyibo)