POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux : Re: Linux Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:42:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 Apr 2017 14:45:07
Message: <58ea8133$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-04-08 05:23 PM (-4), Mike Horvath wrote:
> Are these instructions current?
>
> http://www.povray.org/download/linux.php

No, they are for installing a pre-compiled executable for version 3.6.
Some of these instructions still pertain to 3.7, though.  I first
installed to GNU/Linux in 2012, before the official release of 3.7.0, so
some of the preparation had already been done by the 3.6 install before
I installed 3.7.  If you want to install 3.6 first, then do run the
instructions as is.  For 3.7, I'll see if I can sort it out here.

1. Open a shell.

2. Create a temporary directory.

    user@machine:~> mkdir ~/povray/

    If you've already installed 3.6, you don't need to do this again
    for 3.7.

3. Get the POV-Ray for GNU/Linux binary package from the POV-Ray
    website.

    Obsolete, as there is no pre-compiled 3.7 GNU/Linux binary.
    Instead, go to https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags and download
    the source code.

4. Defer.

5. Skip.

6. Unpack the distribution.

    I just use Ark.  It's easier than memorizing all those flags.
    Whichever method you use, make sure it's unpacked to its own
    version subdirectory, e.g., ~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/

4. Switch back to the shell.

7. Change into the distribution directory.

    Actually, go one further, into the Unix subdirectory:

    user@machine:~> cd ~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix

8. Become root.

    I prefer to use sudo rather than logging in as root.

9a. Prepare the installation environment:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix> ./prebuild.sh

9b. Go up to the distribution directory:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix> cd ..

9c. Configure the installation:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> ./configure
COMPILED_BY="Mike Horvath <mik### [at] emailcom>" LIBS="-lboost_system
-lboost_thread"

9d. Build the program and run a test render:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> make check

9e. If you want to keep to a previous version of POV-Ray, rename the
     executable:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> cd /usr/local/bin
     user@machine:/usr/local/bin> sudo mv povray povray-3.6
       (Enter the root password.)
     user@machine:/usr/local/bin> cd -

9f. Install the program:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> sudo make install
       (Enter the root password.)

10. Leave the root environment:

     Unnecessary if you used sudo.

11. If you had previously installed POV-Ray:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> cd unix
     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix> ./install user

     I haven't done this in a while, so I'm not sure how necessary this
     is.  I have a ~/.povray/3.7 directory, and I do not know at what
     point this directory was created.

     The master povray.ini file is in this directory, and the changes I
     made to that file are *not* overwritten when I upgrade without the
     ./install user step.  However, the 3.6 and 3.7 files are in
     different directories, so whatever changes you made for 3.6, you
     will have to do them again for the 3.7 file.

12. If you are using KDE:

     user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix> ./install kde

     I have not been able to get this to work in 3.7.  Jim Holsenback
     has a workaround:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/thread/%3C4f4092fb%40news.povray.org%3E/

13. To test if installation was successful:

     This does not work for me, but a check was already done in
     step 9d.

14a. If you aren't already there, change to the Unix subdirectory:

      user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5> cd unix

14b. Cleanup after the installation:

      user@machine:~/povray/povray-3.7.1-beta.5/unix> ./prebuild clean