POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit : Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installing 32-bit apps on Windows 7 64-bit
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 22 Mar 2017 14:50:23
Message: <58d2c76f$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/03/2017 01:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 3/21/2017 11:08 PM, Kenneth wrote:
>> (BTW, one website I came across said that all I had to do was rename the
>> original SETUP.exe file as SETUP32.exe, and Photoshop would install
>> OK. That
>> sounded bogus-- how does simply *renaming* the file change it from a
>> 16-bit to a
>> 32-bit installer?!)
>
> Because some folk will believe anything. ;-)
> I've read some strange ideas on the internet.

Well, you laugh, but certain versions of Windows *do* actually treat
programs with "special" names differently.

Like, IIRC Vista will automatically prompt for privilege elevation if
you run a program that happens to be called INSTALL.EXE and doesn't
contain a manifest file stating whether it needs elevated privileges or
not. This is intended to make old software still work. (From a time
before access controls existed.) If you rename the exact same program
to, say, BANANA.EXE, no privilege elevation prompt. It's a workaround to
try to make old software still work.

No idea if current releases of Windows still do this...