POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Mar 2017 12:29:56
Message: <58d00384$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/20/2017 3:58 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:03:34 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

>> I don't know about teaching. Helping people to cope with life, yes.
>
> Well, maybe not so much about teaching, but about learning - and everyone
> learns in different ways.  Sign of a good teacher is one who understands
> that and can adapt.

There is such a thing as a good teacher?
Well maybe I did not go to the best sort of school. So have no experience.

>> I don't see it as a "one size fits all". Everyone is different and react
>> to different situations, differently.
>
> True.  I don't mean to suggest anything differently than that - but
> everyone should learn some baseline coping skills for what to do when you
> fail, because failure is a big part of life.

Failing in a safe environment is a good way to learn. At least for me.

>> I'm sure you do it sympathetically. Sometimes the best answer is "I
>> don't know. I would have to research it and get back to you.
>
> That's exactly the type of answer I'm looking for - or for the scenario
> to lead to a discussion about the types of information they're looking
> for (since it's my scenario, I can answer those questions - so it can
> become a bit of role-play).

Honesty is really the best policy.

>> I remember one interview I had where the technical guy asked me where in
>> the db to put the customer's name and address. I gave him three obvious
>> and best working practice answers. Each time he said that's not how they
>> did it. So I mentioned a couple of bespoke solutions then finally
>> thanked them for their time and said that I had enough information to
>> decide that I no longer wished to continue the interview.
>> Sometimes it is not a good idea to take every job that is offered.
>
> That's certainly true.  Over the past couple of months, I've actually had
> a few interviews (one was pretty promising, actually - but I withdrew
> because of a change at work; I didn't feel it was right to continue to
> interview when I took a new position where I currently am - not fair to
> anyone for me to leave a few weeks after taking on new responsibilities -
> and stuff I'm excited to be doing).
>
> Job interviews are very much a two-way street.

Indeed they should be. But sometimes the pressure makes people waffle.

--

Regards
     Stephen