POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Mar 2017 05:03:36
Message: <58cf9ae8$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/19/2017 10:07 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Some will go out, get a gun, return to the workplace, and shoot a bunch
>>> >>

>> >If only they would do the latter first. O lot of problems would be non
>> >events. It is the same with some fathers who kill their own family
>> >before killing themselves.
> Part of me agrees, but part of me thinks that it's not their fault they
> were never taught how to cope with life.

I don't know about teaching. Helping people to cope with life, yes.

I don't see it as a "one size fits all". Everyone is different and react
to different situations, differently.

> At the same time, I know people
> who are the product of that kind of upbringing who recognize how screwed
> up it was and have worked hard to overcome it.  Everyone copes
> differently - it's when harming others comes into it that things get ugly
> and messy.

Yes, it is the harming others that is the problem. IMO.

>> >Can you imagine the hoo ha if that were to be introduced into school
>> >syllabuses?
> I can.  When I interview people, I ask questions I know they can't answer
> (I'll withhold key information, typically) because how you respond to
> that kind of situation is really important to being successful.

I'm sure you do it sympathetically. Sometimes the best answer is "I
don't know. I would have to research it and get back to you.
I remember one interview I had where the technical guy asked me where in
the db to put the customer's name and address. I gave him three obvious
and best working practice answers. Each time he said that's not how they
did it. So I mentioned a couple of bespoke solutions then finally
thanked them for their time and said that I had enough information to
decide that I no longer wished to continue the interview.
Sometimes it is not a good idea to take every job that is offered.

--

Regards
     Stephen