POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Mar 2017 18:09:32
Message: <58cf019c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:58:06 -0400, Mike Horvath wrote:

> On 3/19/2017 1:55 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I kinda agree.  Cultural appropriation is something to be aware of, but
>> the 'melting pot' that is the US means that we blend stuff together -
>> and as Bill Maher pointed out a few weeks ago, we need to stop
>> apologizing on the left for 'stupid shit'.  I don't always agree with
>> Maher, and he gets a lot of things wrong (such as his stance on the
>> first amendment - it's colored by being pushed off the air with
>> "Politically Incorrect" after people boycotted advertisers - he doesn't
>> understand that the boycott *was* a first amendment expression relating
>> to freedom of association. The first amendment doesn't give him the
>> right to an audience or the right to a TV show - or the right to social
>> consequences for saying things people don't like), but I do like that
>> he says what he wants to say, and doesn't care what people think.
>> Sometimes he's a schmuck when he does that.  A lot of times he's not.
>>

> I think you're confusing "right" with "entitlement". He certainly has a
> _right_ to an audience, TV show, etc. etc. But he's not _entitled_ to
> have one.

I don't think I am confusing those two things, but I do see the
distinction you're making.  I might have to give that more thought.

The reason I'm not sure is because the first amendment doesn't take away
people's right to decide if they want to listen to someone.  In fact,
quite the opposite, it gives the prospective audience the right to decide
"I don't want to be associated with that speech or that group of people".