POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vade Retro! : Re: Vade Retro! Server Time
25 Jun 2024 02:04:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vade Retro!
From: clipka
Date: 13 Mar 2017 19:29:41
Message: <58c72b65$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.03.2017 um 22:52 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 3/13/2017 5:43 PM, clipka wrote:
>> To all retro game enthusiasts:
>>

>> Electronic Arts has exhumed the complete(*) DOS-era "Wing Commander" and
>> "Ultima" series of games, and is currently offering them on their Origin
>> store.
>>
>> (* Well, /almost/ complete that is. The "Ultima" series does not seem to
>> include the "Worlds of Ultima" spin-offs like "Martian Dreams", for
>> instance.)
>>
>> I've just tried out "Ultima Underworld 1" (aka "Ultima Underworld - The
>> Stygean Abyss"), and it seems to run fine on 64-bit Wndows 10.
>> Apparently they're using DOSBox with a custom-tailored configuration to
>> get the old games to run.
>>
>> There's a little catch though: For 20+-year-old games they're quire
>> pricey, about 5 EUR apiece.
>>

> A lot of these games are also available at https://www.gog.com/, for a
> dollar more, but minus the intrusive digital rights management (DRM)
> software.

What "intrusive digital rights management software"?

The game I've tested appears to run fine with the DSL cable pulled. (I
do get a message window saying that I'm offline, but that seems to be
from the "Origin in game" feature, and does not stop me from playing.)

More relevant, I guess, is the fact that GoG sells them not at "a dollar
more", but effectively for less than Origin (e.g. GoG sells Ultima
Underworld 1+2 as a bundle for approx. 5.69 EUR, while on Origin both
episodes cost 4.99 EUR each).

OTOH I'm reluctant to sign up to yet another game distrubution platform.