POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released : Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released Server Time
27 Apr 2024 16:47:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.7.1-beta.3 Released
From: clipka
Date: 2 Mar 2017 18:24:27
Message: <58b8a9ab$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.03.2017 um 23:33 schrieb LucasGrijander:
>> Since the beans have been spilled already, it's no use denying it
>> anymore -- v3.7.1-beta.3 is available on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.3
>>
>> Besides fixing a few bugs, this version should also improve performance
>> on 64-bit Windows machines over the previous beta -- especially if your
>> scene makes plenty use of noise and your CPU supports AVX2 and FMA3
>> (thanks to hand-optimized code courtesy of Intel); other scenes and CPUs
>> should also profit though.
>>
>> Unfortunately this performance gain comes at the cost of dropping
>> support for Windows XP (and Windows Server 2003). In order to still be
>> able to provide some level of support for these legacy operating
>> systems, we have therefore decided to keep the 32-bit binaries
>> XP-compatible for now, which on the other hand means that users of later
>> 32-bit Windows versions will miss out on the performance improvements.
>>
>> Note that the choice between XP-compatibility and performance is a
>> matter of the build tool used (Visual Studio 2010 will generate
>> XP-compatible binaries, while Visual Studio 2015 will generate faster
>> ones), so 64-bit XP-compatible binaries /can/ still be built from the
>> source code, as can faster 32-bit binaries.
>
> Bad news for me, I've WinXP64 on all my machines.

Thanks for letting us know; this is important feedback for us.
For a more complete picture, may I ask what CPUs you are running XP x64 on?

That said, remember you should still be able to run official POV-Ray on
your Windows XP x64 machines by using the 32-bit SSE2 binary.

While the current installer doesn't properly handle XP x64, still
registering the (now incompatible) 64-bit binaries instead of the 32-bit
SSE2 binaries (or at least that's what we expect; we haven't had a
chance to actually test it), we are fully aware of this problem, and are
committed to fixing it in the next beta.