POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 : Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:08:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2
From: clipka
Date: 3 Feb 2017 20:05:42
Message: <589528e6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.02.2017 um 00:38 schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> The parser chokes on .ini files that are not in the current directory,
> but are in the library path.
>
> I wish I could say in what manner it choked, but the message was that
> infuriatingly unspecific:
>
>   Problem with option setting
>   [Command line is echoed here.]
>   Failed to parse command-line option
>
> Once again, if the parser had given a more helpful message, I could have
> saved nearly an hour and a half figuring out what went wrong.  I've been
> complaining about this for five or six years now.  PLEASE FIX THIS!

This seems to be one of various shortcomings of my arch nemesis, the
"VFE" layer, which appears to provide no way whatsoever to pass on any
details why it rejects the command-line.

I've been gaining ground in my uphill battle against the VFE (my intent
being to get rid of it entirely), but it takes time, and this particular
corner of the battlefield isn't one of the strategic positions I'm
focusing on. Once I manage to get close enough to the VFE's heart to
drive a stake through it, I expect this issue to become quite easy to
fix as well.