POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
26 Jun 2024 22:33:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jan 2017 14:49:05
Message: <587a80b1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.01.2017 um 13:25 schrieb Patrick Elliott:

>>> What I actually find even more worrying is the growing scepticism about
>>> the press. Free journalism plays an important role in any free society,
>>> and widespread distrust in it might be just as disruptive to its
>>> function as anything else.
>>>

>> You are absolutely right.
>>
> Mind you, in this case, one needs to make a distinction between a "free
> press", which may not have entirely ever existed, and one solely owned,
> and directed, by specific people and ideologies. When one person owns
> 90% of the press on one side of the line, and the other side is owned,
> again, by a similarly small handful of corporations, with their own
> roughly uniform agenda... where is the "free" coming in exactly. Most of
> radio is now owned by conservatives, who run the same people on there as
> Fox News. Worse, the only opposition to them, on TV at least, is MSNBC,
[...]

Mind you, what you are describing is the situation in the US.

I, on the other hand, am also (and in fact even more) worried about
stuff happening over here in Germany, where at least a reasonable
portion of the news media is indeed (according to my view of things)
quite independent.

It is /particularly/ this independent portion of news media that has
recently become more and more frequently titulated as "Lügenpresse"
("lies press").