POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 : Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 Server Time
4 May 2024 23:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jan 2017 07:30:31
Message: <5878c867$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.01.2017 um 12:30 schrieb StephenS:
> On 11/01/2017 12:59 AM, clipka wrote:
>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 has now officially entered public beta testing phase.
>> Source code and Windows binaries are available on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.2
>>
>> (beta.1 was an internal release only.)
>>
>> The beta version is designed to install in its own dedicated directory,
>> and live happily alongside an existing 3.7 installation.
>>
>> Happy testing!
>>
> Will we be supporting WinXP 32 anymore?

To all my current knowledge, the beta versions should work fine with XP.

In contrast to the alpha development binary-only builds, which were a
byproduct of automated build testing using a 3rd party service running
Visual Studio 2015 (which we couldn't get to spit out fully XP-comatible
binaries), the beta release was lovingly hand-crafted with good old
Visual Studio 2010, and we intend to do the same for all further 3.7.1
releases (betas, RCs and final release).

As for 32 bit, the installer contains all three binaries (32 bit, 32 bit
SSE2, and 64 bit) and should pick the one most appropriate for your machine.

Thus, should you encounter any problems with the beta on a 32 bit
Windows XP, please do let us know, as that would be unintentional.

> A quick test suggests the render works, may have problems with editor.
> More testing on Sunday morning local time.

Hm... I'll have to check with Chris whether he also used Visual Studio
2010 for the beta editor DLLs. (The beta does need its own version of
the DLLs to not interfere with an existing installation of 3.7.0 proper.
Other than that they should be interchangeable, though the beta DLLs
also contain some bugfixes.)