POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another random suggestion : Re: Another random suggestion Server Time
19 Jun 2024 15:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another random suggestion
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Jan 2017 02:54:09
Message: <587887a1$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.nature.com/news/fantasy-politics-over-fetal-tissue-research-1.21263?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20170112&spMailingID=53176252&spUserID=MjA1NzUyMzA4OAS2&spJobID=1082042362&spReportId=MTA4MjA0MjM2MgS2

> The writers of said science fiction saga do not believe in facts.  You
> can show them the evidence, the videos, the fossils, the birth
> certificates, and even the confessions and apologies of their own
> Republican leaders, and they will dismiss it all out of hand, because
> the facts stubbornly refuse to conform to their fixed beliefs.
>
> BTW, "fixed beliefs" is *their* terminology.
>
> Their attempt to redefine science is nothing new.  They've been trying
> for years to force scientists in the USA to include the supernatural in
> their theories.  This, of course, fits into their narrative that reality
> is defined by what they believe.  If the scientific method isn't to
> their liking, they just redefine it, and cry "unfair" when scientists
> explain that they don't get to do that.
>
> We've even got an Australian immigrant, who's found fertile ground in
> the USA, lecturing scientists on what is proper science!  And he's
> conned the Kentucky legislature into giving him a huge tax break on a
> big boat on dry land, because if scientists knew what they were doing,
> they'd obviously understand that children rode bareback on velociraptors
> before the Big Flood.
>
> This is the mindset of approximately a quarter of all USAmericans.

Yes indeed. I used to laugh about those "silly" Americans that thought
such quixotic things. For a number of years, I am not laughing any more
as the disease is spreading outside the US, and deriding/disbelieving
science in general is becoming fashionable in more places in the world,
including Europe. It is a worrisome development. With the new
administration in place, things are not likely to become better I am afraid.

--
Thomas