POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random suggestion : Re: Random suggestion Server Time
25 Jun 2024 19:49:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random suggestion
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Jan 2017 17:32:24
Message: <587803f8$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/12/2017 4:10 AM, clipka wrote:

> For me the question is not whether every conclusion in this video's
> train of thoughts is correct and irrefutible, but whether it leads to an
> interesting perspective on information and entropy that warrants to be
> pondered further.

Indeed I think it does... although maybe it's partially lost on me since
I was lucky enough to first learn about entropy in
semi-information-theoretic terms anyway.  Anyway, if you have the time
there's a lecture I like by someone who actually *is* a top theoretical
physicist related to these concepts and how they relate to black hole
holography.  Maybe this is a good example of where you can get by
pondering this stuff further (in addition to being substantially more
precise about things): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIl3Hfh9tY

Another interesting related trend I've seen in physics is to start
looking at the relationship between fundamental physical properties and
computational complexity.  I know very little about this but it seems
like a super neat connection between physics and information science.

> According to the Kopenhagen interpretation, the wave function does not
> describe a particular state. It describes the /probability/ of a certain
> state.

Oh man, the Copenhagen interpenetration is such a can of worms.  I
actually like to think of it as actually not saying much of anything
about the nature of reality, just as a way to tell you what you'll get
as the result of a measurement of a quantum system.  Sort of the "shut
up and calculate" interpretation of quantum physics.

But taking it as a serious model of reality, I have to admit that I've
never understood precisely what sort of ontology or lack thereof is
actually being proposed by this interpretation.  So it's hard for me to
say much about it.

Nevertheless, I'll try anyway.  Even under the Copenhagen
interpretation, you can resurrect a notion of state by simply looking at
the amount of information needed to distinguish one wave function from
another, and calling a physical instance of this information a "state".
  It might have some strange more-epistemological-than-ontological
status, but you can largely evade this to a large degree by focusing
solely on the "state" as being just that which changes the probabilities
of what you'll see as the result of an observation.

I think (but I have not done the math) if you do use this notion of
state, then the information theoretic properties of it will match what I
mentioned earlier where information can be destroyed but not created.

Anyhoo, you may not call that a "state", but I'm pretty comfortable
doing so, in which case it's just a disagreement of whether a certain
English word is appropriate to describe a particular concept, and the
math is the same either way.