POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random suggestion : Re: Random suggestion Server Time
25 Jun 2024 19:34:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random suggestion
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2017 08:52:03
Message: <58778a03$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.01.2017 um 13:49 schrieb Stephen:

>>> Hmm what do you mean?  I was under the impression that quantum mechanics
>>> describes the state of the universe perfectly well with a giant quantum
>>> wave function?  Not the notion of "state" that we're used to from
>>> classical physics, but I was assuming that this would still count as a
>>> "state".
>>
>> According to the Kopenhagen interpretation, the wave function does not
>> describe a particular state. It describes the /probability/ of a certain
>> state.
>>
>> There is no spoon. Not until you have a close look at it, at any rate.
>>
>> You /can/ look at the spoon so closely that you force it to coalesce
>> into a state -- but then you spoil any chance of predicting /anything/
>> about the spoon's future. In other words, it will evaporate. Instantly.
>> (Or not. Because even evaporation won't be guaranteed then.)
>>
>> If the universe ever /has/ a particular state, "it will instantly
>> disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
>> inexplicable", as an ingenious mind once put it.
>>

> How does one follow on from the other?

Kopenhagen interpretation plus Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

According to the Kopenhagen interpretation, particles don't assume any
particular state or location until they are measured.

According to the uncertainty principle, the more precisely you measure a
particle's /current/ state or location, the more likely it will /change/
its state or location.