POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random suggestion : Re: Random suggestion Server Time
16 Jun 2024 07:34:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random suggestion
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jan 2017 20:08:42
Message: <5872e29a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.01.2017 um 00:23 schrieb Kenneth:

> What bugs me about the video is the 'perkiness' of the presenters; seems like
> scientists wants to be *actors* these days. (Michio Kaku and Neil deGrasse Tyson
> come to mind as well.) But they do a good job of explaining the theories, I
> admit.

I'd attribute that mainly to the guest, Vsauce, who has a rather unique
style.

As for contemporary scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, I don't see him
as trying to be an actor -- I see him as trying to inspire people. It's
difficult to capture an audience's attention for any meaningful duration
these days when you're just lecturing.

I guess Carl Sagan started this trend, and I think it's a good one as
long as it's not overdone. I think it's an important key to making
science accessible to the curious John Doe.

Also, your impression that scientists want to be actors these days is
skewed by the fact that -- obviously, I think -- scientists with this
trait are vastly overrepresented in popular media. Even on shows like
Brady Haran's YouTube channels (Periodic Videos, Sixty Symbols,
Numberphile etc.), where scientists are interviewed rather than acting
as the show's host, you probably have an overrepresentation of extrovert
scientists.

> It's a good primer on entropy ---something I've always had difficulty in
> understanding.

I also found this particularly good:

https://youtu.be/ZuvK-od647c

First time I could follow an explanation why science can rule out
"hidden variables" theories.

Again, pausing, rewinding and viewing a second time helps.