POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build : Re: 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build Server Time
28 Apr 2024 14:45:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build
From: clipka
Date: 9 Sep 2016 14:00:01
Message: <57d2f8a1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.09.2016 um 17:04 schrieb jmichae3:
> c:\povray-master\libraries\png\projects\vstudio\readme.txt
> c:\povray-master\libraries\tiff\libtiff\tif_error.c
> these 2 files would not extract from the povray-master.zip

Since the zip files are generated by GitHub, certainly using the same
piece of software to create source code packages for thousands of other
open source projects on a daily basis, I would presume that this is a
problem of whatever software you are using to unzip the package. At any
rate, it is entirely out of our hands.

Fortunately for you, there are numerous well-tried unpacking tools out
there, such as 7zip.

> and because the file structures are so deep, some may be past the 255-character
> NTFS filepath length maximum.
> I noticed it's safer to extract to root.

Well, yes -- if you're extracting to a directory _already_ over 150
characters long, then you might find that to pose a problem...

To the best of my knowledge (based on the results of a shell script just
a few minutes ago), the longest path in the current master branch does
not exceed 102 characters.

Give us a break here, and do give us the benefit of doubt that we might
not be responsible for your problems after all. Otherwise you may find
out the hard way that, legally speaking, we indeed aren't, and that your
problems are exactly that: YOUR problems (as per section 15 of the AGPL3).