POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build : Re: 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:34:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7 doesn't run on vista 32-bit, no source code available to build
From: clipka
Date: 9 Sep 2016 12:54:23
Message: <57d2e93f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.09.2016 um 15:38 schrieb jmichae3:
>> Am 09.09.2016 um 05:20 schrieb jmichae3:
>>> as it turns out, shortcut points to wrong exe. shounld not be the sse version,
>>> just 32.
>>
>> No, the SSE2 version should run fine on your machine; but the installer
>> incorrectly links to `pvengine-sse2.exe`, when in fact the executable is
>> named `pvengine32-sse2.exe`.
>>
>> It's a known issue, with a known workaround, but a fixed installer
>> hasn't been released so far.
>
> I could not find that section of code in github. could not find the installer
> source.

POV-Ray does not use a proprietary installer, so there is no installer
source in the conventional sense to be found in the POV-Ray project.
There is nothing but a single script, `setup.nsi`, for the Nullsoft
Scriptable Install System (NSIS).

Note that the script is not the original one used to re-produce the
official POV-Ray installer (nor does the script even work "out of the
box"). It is provided specifically to enable users to produce derivative
works, while at the same time minimizing the risk that such derivative
works may (1) be mistaken for official versions of the official
software, (2) interfere with the proper operation of official versions
installed on the same system, or (3) interfere with the support services
Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty Ltd. provides for official versions.

> why not make that change right now?

I can't comment on that. Both the decison and technical process to
produce and distribute official releases is ultimately up to Chris Cason.