POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UberPOV small glitch? : Re: UberPOV small glitch? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:53:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UberPOV small glitch?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Sep 2016 12:04:57
Message: <57d18c29$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.09.2016 um 17:33 schrieb clipka:

> Unfortunately that version doesn't come with a theory attached as to
> what might be going wrong there. Although it almost certainly has to do
> with the fact that the "Z_TOKEN" is the very last entry in the list of
> all reserved words.

Found the culprit. Apparently there was some disagreement between the
GUI and the parser whether the "#persistent" feature should be enabled,
causing them to come up with different values for the length of the list
of reserved words. While the parser actually compiled 595 entries into
the list, the GUI was thoroughly convinced it had to retrieve only 594
entries, and thus failed to retrieve the last entry.

Coincidently, when I read your post I was just about to wrap up some
slight change to the reserved words mechanism, with the intention to
make it easier to maintain. It turns out that the way I designed it, the
modified mechanism would have been even _less_ robust against this
particular case; so you've just prevented me from submitting
ill-conceived code ;)

I think I'll leave this unfixed in UberPOV for now, as it doesn't do any
real harm, and wait until that mentioned change (in a more robust
variant) trickles in from official POV-Ray.