POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sky simulation : Re: Sky simulation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky simulation
From: scott
Date: 8 Sep 2016 03:22:04
Message: <57d1119c$1@news.povray.org>
>>> I think I found the culprit: Your original SunPos() is divided by 1000!
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>
>> What line number is that at? I am having the same issue.
>>

>> Mike
>>

> Goodness! That was three years ago! ;-)
>
> Without going over the whole discussion again, I guess it is about:
>
> // uncomment the below lines to have a physical sun in the scene with
> realistic brightness
> // and size (useful if using mcpov or perhaps radiosity?)
>  #local SunRadius = vlength(sp/1000)/214.8;
>  sphere{ sp/1000, SunRadius pigment{color rgb 1} finish{emission 1}
> no_shadow}
>
> Forgive me, I do not have the info freshly available in my mind anymore...

IIRC I think the consensus was that the 1000 factor (used on both lines)
should be tweaked to make the sphere seem "far away" in your specific
scene (but not too far away it causes accuracy issues). I think without
the /1000 the sun is just too far away for the maths to cope when
dealing with normal scenes of the order of a few metres.