POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
29 Apr 2024 18:11:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Sep 2016 04:44:30
Message: <57cfd36e@news.povray.org>
On 09/06/2016 06:33 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:

> I'm off to try this latest refactor/texture with additional scenes -
> especially some with meshes.
>
> Bill P.

A reminder for others doing texture testing.

The documentation warns turbulence modifiers not wrapped in a warp{}
blocks might not run in SDL apparent order or even the same order as
other modifiers over time. I've run down a set of my own texture testing
differences to this cause.

A source code change after 3.7.0-stable and sometime before (B -
167ed19) causes 'some' materials I've picked up over time to appear
differently where turbulence is not specified in a warp {} block.

In other words, code such as:

pigment {
    wood turbulence 0.135 omega 0.65 lambda 3
    color_map {...}
    rotate <0,90,0>
    scale <1,0.2,0.2>
    rotate <0,0.5,10>
}

Needs to be written as something like:

pigment {
    wood
    color_map {...}
    warp { turbulence 0.135 omega 0.65 lambda 3 }
    rotate <0,90,0>
    scale <1,0.2,0.2>
    rotate <0,0.5,10>
}

If one wants such textures to appear exactly the same in 3.7.1 as 3.7.0.

Bill P.