POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
29 Apr 2024 18:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Sep 2016 06:33:02
Message: <57ce9b5e@news.povray.org>
On 09/05/2016 08:33 AM, clipka wrote:
> The texture refactoring has progressed some more; in addition to the
> features mentioned earlier, testing would be welcome for:
>
> - Finish properties: Nothing should have changed here.
>
> - Smooth meshes and other objects that "fake" a smooth surface: The
> handling of surface normals /has/ changed, and should be more
> well-behaved; most notably I should have gotten rid of the
> interior_texture-on-outside artifacts!
>
> Again, a source code-only version can be found here:
>
>     https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/tree/refactor/texture
>

> Am 10.08.2016 um 01:55 schrieb clipka:

The latest refactor/texture showing no differences on my non-mesh test
cases in some spot checking to the previous version.

I also wanted to flesh out the brilliance & radiosity differences story.

Where A-F represents the following POV-Ray versions:

A -> povray 3.7.0 stable

B -> 167ed19. Commit prior to c891131 Fixed two mesh camera bugs and
other camera flaws.

C -> 3c07635 Where the AA/shift of c891131 got fixed (but isosurface
offset still there)

D -> 4d52c26 Fixed a bug causing radiosity to ignore refracted
`no_image` objects.

E -> Previous refactor/texture. povray371Txtr_8738139

F -> Current refactor/texture.

So the rows in each attached image are comparing:

1) A to B
2) B to C
3) C to D
4) D to E
5) E to F
6) A to F

Showing the absolute difference mutiplied by 4x in the right most column.

For Story_Brill_Grtr1_wRad.jpg

1) A to B - The brilliance change of 54b283a.
2) B to C - The camera fixes of c891131.
3) C to D - Additional change some, not all in compensation of (2).
4) D to E - Mostly that refactor/texture code restored brilliance >1.
5) E to F - No change between last and current refactor/texture.
6) A to F - Surprise! With brilliace>1 quite a bit of radiosity difference.

For Story_Brill_Max1_wRad.jpg

1) A to B - Minor radiosity driven differences.
2) B to C - The camera fixes of c891131.
3) C to D - Additional change some, not all in compensation of (2).
4) D to E - No last refactor/texture to base 4d52c26
5) E to F - No change between last and current refactor/texture.
6) A to F - Believe mostly the result of c891131 & something between C & D.

For Story_Brill_Max1_NoRad.jpg

1) A to B - No difference.
2) B to C - Seeing the isosurface issue fixed with 0889275. (Yes affects
Rad a little)
3) C to D - Seeing the isosurface issue fixed with 0889275.
4) D to E - No difference.
5) E to F - No difference between last and current refactor/text.
6) A to F - No difference.

I think most everything can be ignored except the surprise A-F
radiosity results where the brilliance>1.0 is having a surprising effect
on radiosity compared to 3.7.0 stable.

I'm off to try this latest refactor/texture with additional scenes -
especially some with meshes.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'story_brill_grtr1_wrad.jpg' (167 KB) Download 'story_brill_max1_norad.jpg' (135 KB) Download 'story_brill_max1_wrad.jpg' (141 KB)

Preview of image 'story_brill_grtr1_wrad.jpg'
story_brill_grtr1_wrad.jpg

Preview of image 'story_brill_max1_norad.jpg'
story_brill_max1_norad.jpg

Preview of image 'story_brill_max1_wrad.jpg'
story_brill_max1_wrad.jpg