POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UberPOV is back : Re: UberPOV is back Server Time
1 May 2024 17:49:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UberPOV is back
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Sep 2016 13:08:30
Message: <57c8608e$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/09/2016 à 18:03, clipka a écrit :
> Am 01.09.2016 um 14:14 schrieb Mr:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>>> There are some Hg-Povray features that I've already set my eyes on, yes.
>>> But I haven't found the time yet to steal(*) them.
>>>
>>> (* Since Hg-Povray doesn't support the `unofficial patch` proposal, I'd
>>> have to label those features as original UberPOV features. And I might
>>> actually use different syntax.)

I never understood that proposal, or how to use it, from the coding side.

And I do not really care, as I use only the official povray and hgpovray, my little
pet.

>> I, for one would be very happy for it, hoping the original author is not
>> offended, and I'm sure he can be credited somewhere properly for his
>> contribution...
>
> He certainly would get credited. And as for being offended, I have some
> hope that Jerome's wrath would be contained within a reasonably small
> bounding box ;)

Since the start of the refactoring (3 years ago?), I'm waiting for the code to
stabilize (in term of change to C++ objects) before moving the changes of hg-povray in
compatible code. I usually check once a year, at summer holiday, but it is not easy.
(and the change of directory hierarchy is not friendly with automerging tools)

I tried to write the nurbs in both, but it turns out to be painful to maintain. Not
something I'm going to do again.

So far my plan is to finish the normal computation of nurbs in hg-povray (something
where reading M. S. Floater in text is a must go, and no, I'm not going for
approximation),
then (when more time become available here), trying to merge the head of master povray
into hg-povray... unless there is another refactoring happening just 2 weeks before I
would have merged).

Your evolution of ovus has been made, but got little echo.

And I'm probably late also on some documentation too.