POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interview question : Re: Interview question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interview question
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 19 Aug 2016 13:40:54
Message: <57b744a6$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2016 09:29 AM, scott wrote:
> The problem is, once this is done in a realistic way and agreed by all
> actually doing the work, project management types come along and say the
> end date is too far away and make it sooner.

And *this* is the root of all the problems. This idea that you can just
"make it sooner" by writing a different date on a piece of paper.
Because that isn't how the world works.

It takes time to do things. You can admit that it will take time, and
plan accordingly. Or you can pretend that it won't take time, and
pretend that it will be finished by date X. But it will *still* won't
actually be finished until date Y, no matter what you write on that bit
of paper.

The whole point of planning is to *predict* when the work will be done.
You do a series of calculations to estimate how long it will take, so
that everyone around you can plan for that. Artificially changing the
carefully estimated prediction won't make the work happen any faster. :-P

I used to assume that this kind of brokenness only happens at the
amateur company that *I* work for. Alarmingly, this appears to not be
the case. This raises the question HOW DOES ANYTHING EVER WORK?! >_<