POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interview question : Re: Interview question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interview question
From: scott
Date: 19 Aug 2016 04:29:53
Message: <57b6c381$1@news.povray.org>
> I think it is this mindset of acknowledging that one /will/ run into
> problems, both self-made and external, and that time /must/ be reserved
> for such events accordingly, that is crucial for good project management.

Indeed. We have quite a good project management tool, that essentially
takes out any "safety buffer" from individual tasks and makes it one big
lump at the end. That way individual tasks can over-run or under-run,
but the idea being on average it will be some pre-determined figure.

The problem is, once this is done in a realistic way and agreed by all
actually doing the work, project management types come along and say the
end date is too far away and make it sooner. So you end up spending the
whole project with the engineers assuming they will miss the end date
from the start and not really caring about it, and the project manager
frantically trying to fiddle things around and cut corners to meet the
date they agreed to. In the end everyone is shafted for "missing the
deadline", as senior management types seem unaware of the cries from the
engineers since the beginning of the project.