POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Long threads : Re: Long threads Server Time
7 Oct 2024 03:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Long threads
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2016 20:56:27
Message: <57afc1bb$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:39:24 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:19:05 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> But I fear that my following move to E&C probably does until Saturday
>>> at least.
>>>

>> Part timer.
>
> Pfft! :)
>
> (Traveling for work through Saturday)

Egads, I was the only one in Huff, guys. :)

And now I'm out of Huff.  But it was hell, too - the only parts of the
trip that were *good* were the parts where I met with people I planned to
meet with.

And, surprisingly, going through the security checkpoints at the airports.

I was in Denver - got there, got on the new train line from the airport
into downtown (the terminus at Union Station is walking distance to the
office and hotel), trip is supposed to be 30 minutes.

Well, not out of sight of the ATC tower, the train's electric pickup
(where the electricity is fed to the train from the overhead wires) hit
something.  And was broken beyond repair - it didn't *entirely* come off
the train, but pieces of it went flying, and when the train ground to a
halt, rail workers and the fire department worked to clear it so it
wouldn't spark (I guess), and it was hanging off the top of the train,
and I could see it out the window of the car I was in (because naturally,
I was IN the car that the accident happened in).

So, 30 minutes turned into damn near 3 hours.  With no power (which means
no AC) in 90°F heat.  In direct sunlight.  90 minutes in, they brought us
water (I had a little left over from my flight).

The kicker is my flight got in *early*, and if it hadn't been early, I
wouldn't have been on the train, and would have either caught a cab or
taken the "bus bridge" they set up to route around the dead train.

So, instead of going to the office, I went to the hotel and checked in.
Grabbed some dinner (the meals were good, if lonely).  Slept like crap
(always do the first day on a trip for some reason).  Got up the next
morning, and had a problem I've never had with the shower in a hotel - no
COLD water (to speak of).  I've had tepid water, but never scalding hot
water.  I didn't burn myself, but I ended up with a shower that had
almost zero water pressure.

Maintenance changed out the faucet after I left, but the mixer tap was
still not working that evening, and they said the pressure was fine.
They looked again, found a problem, and fixed it (though I had the option
to go to a different room).

Get my shower, get breakfast, start walking to the office, stop at a
crosswalk, and a pigeon shits on my shirt - and in my hair.  Dammit, I
only brought two "work shirts" with me.  Back to the hotel to change into
the other one and clean myself up, because I'm meeting with my new boss
(one of our VPs - result of a reorg) and 3 of the directors that report
to her.  Probably shouldn't do that with pigeon shit in my hair and on my
shirt - first impressions and all.

Meetings in the morning were fine, and then a company picnic at a "local"
park (ie, a 20 minute train ride away to a part of Denver I've never been
in).  My meeting ran long, so I figured I'd meet folks there and get a
ride back with someone.

By the time I found the picnic area in the park (the park itself is 161
acres in size - or .25 sq miles - which doesn't sound like much, but when
you start at one end and have to do a "search grid" to find your group
with about 15 other groups you have to look closely at to see if you know
anyone, it's pretty time consuming) *2 hours* after it started, most of
the festivities were over, and most of the people I knew had left.  I
chatted with a few, but nobody was headed back to the office, and I ended
up spending a fair bit of time sitting by myself just enjoying the 88°F
weather.

And then walked to the train station and went back into town for some
dinner.

Friday morning, a shower at the proper temperature (yay), headed in to
the office, and realized I had forgotten my keycard.  Walked into the
upstairs office with one of our developers (whom I have worked with
extensively) to get a spare from a coworker who has them for students
coming in for training, but he wasn't in yet.

Downstairs for the 8 AM all-hands meeting we typically have on Fridays.
Wait outside the door until the receptionist arrives, and she's not happy
that I've left my card at the hotel (she'd had a rough week as well, so
she was already having a bad day, which didn't help things - and
apparently there was a security audit going on that was making things
that much more tense).  I get down to the area where the all-hands
meeting is held, and there's nobody around.  Complete ghost town.

Funny thing, 8 AM PDT != 8 AM MDT. m-/

Then I thought "didn't I put the keycard in my wallet so I wouldn't
forget to bring it?".  Yup.  I had it with me the entire time.  Double
facepalm.

Back upstairs, check e-mail, do some other stuff, back down for my 9 AM
meeting, and things go well until I get done for the day.

Back to the hotel, go grab dinner, don't have to get up early Saturday
(today) because my flight wasn't until 11:30.  Schedule a car because the
train line is *still* delayed because of the accident on Wednesday, and
I'm not risking missing my flight, and I'm not planning to leave 4 hours
ahead of time because RTD hasn't got their shit together for the new
airport line.  So instead of $9, it costs $72 (with tip) for the hotel's
car service to take me there (that's the same cost as a cab with a tip).

To the airport, breeze through security again (the changes are that we
can now leave our shoes on and laptops do not come out of our bags - and
they're back to using the old-style metal detectors rather than the
millimeter wave scanners).

Get to the gate, sit and chat with A. for a while on hangouts, and then
decide I should fill my water bottle and grab a bite to eat.

Got to the restaurant at 10:30 AM.  Flight boards at 10:55.  Order
breakfast.  Nope, breakfast ended at 10:15, but I can order lunch.  So I
have a hamburger for breakfast.  It was tasty, but it wasn't breakfast.

Get on the plane.  Airbus A320.  Last row, aisle seat (38C).  Damned seat
is the only one in the row that doesn't recline, and there's LESS legroom
in that row than anywhere else on the plane.  Take off, and the guy in
front of me reclines the seat and takes a nap.  8 inches away from my
face.  Guess I'm not using my laptop (that's generally out of the
question on US domestic flights unless you *pay* for extra legroom -
quite the scam they have going there), and barely using my tablet.

Oh well, I had extra time to sleep last night, so of course, I slept like
crap again.  3 nights, 12 hours of sleep total.

Train back to the ferry terminal was fine.  The ferry was extremely busy
- it's a nice Saturday afternoon, and people love coming out to the
island on the weekends when it's nice.  And my phone decided that it
didn't want to talk to the 4G network at all, so I couldn't message A. to
tell her that I was on the boat and would be there to be picked up in 30
minutes.

Because after the week like I had, having the phone decide "nope, I'm not
going to let you use me for the one thing I'm designed for -
communications".

Pizza: check.  Wings: check.  Coke: check.  Rum to go in the coke:
Dammit!  Where's the rum gone? ;)

On the plus side, the sky's supposed to be clear tonight, so we're going
to go watch the Perseid meteor shower tonight.  It peaked last night, but
we should have a good view tonight.

So that was my 'exciting' trip.  In 2 weeks: Toronto for LinuxCon.

---

So given that while I was in Huff, the game stopped, I'm going to go - in
memory of this trip, my move is Union Station.  It may be in Denver, but
under rule 627(b)(iv), it's allowed if you've been on a train in the
previous 4 days that has broken down.  The rule states that you may, at
your option, pick any station on the line that you were on when the train
broke down.  Since Union Station is the terminus, that fits the
criteria. :D

Jim