POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holy SciFi Crap! : Re: Holy SciFi Crap! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holy SciFi Crap!
From: Stephen
Date: 24 Jul 2016 16:25:15
Message: <5795242b$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/24/2016 5:22 PM, clipka wrote:

> "The idea"? Actually, it was a pretty big bunch of ideas they took from
> Asimov, and distilled into one movie.

I would be scares to see a Hollywood version of the books that I have
fond memories of.

>> I liked the day of the Triffids. It is a bit dated now but still one to
>> put on a list.
>
> Can't comment on that one. Probably had an entirely different title in
> Germany.

It did have. It was called "Die Triffids". ;)
To be fair, it was a bit before your time. :)

>>> I think what you really want to say is that you simply don't dig Science
>>> Fiction movies.
>>
>> Yes, they have mostly been a disappointment. My imagination is much
>> better than whatever can be put on a screen.
>
> Granted, that's a problem with a lot of movies.

And that's the killer for me. I find it hard to suspend disbelief, in
the cinema.
Having said that. One of the best films I've seen was a German language
film called Funny Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Games_(1997_film)

>>> Besides, note that I used the comparative (well, I /tried/ to use it
>>> anyway). Even among crap there's good solid crap, painfully hard crap,
>>> grossly soft crap -- and amorphous plain bullshit.
>>
>> I see that you are a scatologist of the highest order.
>
> You know what's coming now, don't you?

Nope!

> https://youtu.be/y6oXW_YiV6g

Not as poetic as the Glasgow street chant of "Keech bum toley fart, I
don't care."

>>> Nah, I guess it was more the fascination of first encounter -- the first
>>> encounter with a level of crappiness never experienced before.
>>
>> You get some dreadfully bad moves that are a joy to watch.
>> If you're medicated. ;)
>
> Or not. Remember the dried frog pills I did /not/ take? ;)

Well there's your problem. Reality!

'Ave at thee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0&index=4&list=RDJwVUq6EZEiE

--