POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cached Macros! : Re: Cached Macros! Server Time
26 Apr 2024 15:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cached Macros!
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 18 Jul 2016 06:30:48
Message: <578cafd8$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/18/2016 6:08 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 7/18/2016 4:17 AM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> when i went to document this ... noticed syntax diagram /might/ be
>>> missing the term optional in a couple of places. agreed?
>>>
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Defined_Macros
>>
>> I guess that's a matter of philosophy: Do you want the documentation to
>> generally reflect the newest version (even if that's still under
>> development), with side notes mentioning what features aren't available
>> in earlier versions, or do you want the documentation to generally
>> reflect a well-established version, with side notes mentioning the
>> features added in newer version?
>>
>> So far I have been following the latter approach for documenting the new
>> 3.7.1 features, mostly because 3.7.1 hasn't even reached beta phase yet;
>> theoretically, any modifications since 3.7.0 are still subject to
>> change, and 3.7.0 is still the latest version for which we provide a
>> Windows installer.
>>
>> But if you are significantly more comfortable with the former approach,
>> I can live with that as well.
>>

> well yikes ... was hoping for a less vague response. i was just trying
> to be proactive. back when the new / change template request was
> suggested i roughed something out quickly but didn't get a chance to
> implement, then noticed it's usage in the documentation. couple of day
> ago had some time to put towards this and finished up the templates,
> found ALL the old usage and changed to new, even added code to
> wikidocgen to translate template to it's html equivalent. now i'm unsure
> what to do next because i was under the impression that we were running
> as fast as we can towards 3.7.1 release ... well like i said now i'm not
> sure anymore

just a follow up ... to address the concern that i /might/ be getting
ahead of the game here.

Welcome to the POV-Ray version 3.7.x documentation repository ... if
you're looking for the most up to date documentation, you've found it!
This content is used to generate the documentation included with the
distribution, so occasionally it can get ahead of the current release.

this preamble /is/ there for /everyone/ to see at:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Contents