POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system : Re: Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system Server Time
27 Jul 2024 22:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jun 2016 05:00:25
Message: <576cf6a9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.06.2016 um 04:47 schrieb Nekar Xenos:

>> 2) It does not deal with the phenomenon of allophones, i.e. sounds that
>> are generated in different ways but perceived as identical.
>>

> All allophones should be written phonetically with this system.

Phonetically, rather than phonemically? I.e. using the most precise
possible notation? Are you sure that's what you mean? Because then you'd
have to provide a ton of different symbols, for instance both a
velarized and a palatalized variant of the voiced bilabial plosive,
although the difference between the two is only relevant in a very few
languages such as Irish, and virtually no Englishman could even tell
them apart.

> This will be mapped to the IPA alphabet in Unicode.

You've picked quite a challenge there.

> It also makes a nice SF font which will probably be it's main use :)

When it comes to that, you are of course free to go wild :)

In that case you also won't need to add more spacing between the
symbols: It would certainly be very helpful in discerning where one
character ends and the next begins, and hence improve readability, but
it might be considered a violation of tradition, an intolerable lack of
respect for the forefathers, by the fictional users of the writing system.

(Personally, I'm more into tengwar-ish fonts, but your results are also
interesting.)