POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system : Re: Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system Server Time
27 Jul 2024 22:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Introducing the Bue'Harian phonetic writing system
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 22 Jun 2016 22:47:05
Message: <576b4da9@news.povray.org>
On 2016/06/23 03:12 AM, clipka wrote:

> 1) You still need to introduce somewhat arbitrary notation for any
> phonetic features arising from dynamic processes, such as trills,
> taps/flaps, implosives, and what-have-you-nots. It is there that all the
> ease of visual understanding breaks down at the very next cultural barrier.

I do have trills and taps/flaps. The symbol is basically a graph of the
movement of the tongue. I still need to do implosives, tones and the rest.

> 2) It does not deal with the phenomenon of allophones, i.e. sounds that
> are generated in different ways but perceived as identical.

All allophones should be written phonetically with this system.

> My suggestion would be to stick with the IPA alphabet. Not only is it
> well-established in the expert community, well-supported by Unicode, and
> well-equipped for pretty much any human vocal expression you could
> possibly imagine -- it also comes with a host of tried and tested best
> practices how to actually apply it to various different use cases.

This will be mapped to the IPA alphabet in Unicode.

Thanks for the input.

My son is into linguistics and calligraphy and I find the IPA very
confusing, so I thought of creating a more visual representation that
can represent any sound you can make.

I know; if you are going to learn a new language, you can just as well
learn the normal IPA first. I guess I'm a stickler for logical systems.

This one is for a right to left system. It can be mirrored for left to
right. The main reason I did this one right to left is because all the
IPA charts show the vowels with the mouth facing left.

It also makes a nice SF font which will probably be it's main use :)

-Nekar Xenos-