POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : WebGL : Re: WebGL Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WebGL
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 20 Jun 2016 13:59:00
Message: <57682ee4$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/06/2016 08:00 AM, scott wrote:
> I finally got around to porting my WebGL version (which I had to write
> because shadertoy didn't support multiple buffers back then):

Ah yes, I thought I remembered there being prior art in this space...

> BufferB is used to store the camera viewing angles and the frame number
> that the viewing angles last stopped changing (so the BufferA knows
> where to start averaging the frames from).

Interesting. I made a version of mine that only averages together the
previous N frames, and set the camera to rotate constantly. By changing
N, you can choose between grainy images or a weird motion blur. Looks
vaguely like thermal imaging, actually...

> If it doesn't work on your GPU try reducing the number of SAMPLES (at
> the top of BufferA). The end result will be the same, it will just look
> a bit worse whilst rotating the camera.

You'll be unsurprised to hear that this breaks Opera.

Looking at some of the stuff people have done, you wonder why this
amazing tech isn't in games...

...and then you realise it doesn't scale to non-trivial geometry. I'm
still figuring out how the GPU actually works, but it *appears* that it
works by executing all possible code paths, and just turning off the
cores that don't take that branch. That's find for 4 trivial primitives;
I'm going to say it doesn't scale to hundreds of billions of objects.

Pity. It would be so cool...