POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Compiling Povray : Re: Compiling Povray Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling Povray
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jun 2016 09:10:06
Message: <5762a52e@news.povray.org>
Am 16.06.2016 um 01:06 schrieb Ken Shumway:
> I'm trying for the first time to compile Povray 3.7. I have the package that is
> available at github. I've figured how to modify configure.ac to reflect where
> I've stored the paths to various files requires but now get these error messages
> from autoconf.
>
> error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> error: possibley undefined macro: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
>
> I have no idea how to start to fix this. Any suggestions?

The configure.ac is _not_ intended to be modified directly.

If you pull the newest master branch, and look at the install
instructions in the Unix folder, you should find a note instructing you
to run

    cd unix
    ./prebuild.sh
    cd ..

before anything else. From there on, installation should be more or less
as you expect, i.e. the next steps should be to execute the
`./configure` script and then run `make`. (Note though that POV-Ray's
`./configure` needs a mandatory parameter, something like BUILT_BY or
COMPILED_BY, I keep forgetting its name; but `./configure` will tell you
if you invoke it without.)

The reason behind the `prebuild.sh` script is that POV-Ray is maintained
on GitHub as a platform-neutral project. Among other things this means
that we don't tolerate any platform-specific stuff whatsoever outside of
dedicated subdirectories (such as the `unix` and `vfe/unix`
directories). For platforms where this essentially breaks the build
process (as is the case on Unix), we provide a special script (namely
the `prebuild.sh` script in case of the Unix platform) that converts the
platform-neutral source package (where the platform-specific stuff is
safely tucked away) into a platform-specific one (where the
platform-specicif stuff may be all over the place, as required to build).