POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linking : Re: Linking Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linking
From: dick balaska
Date: 2 Jun 2016 04:49:05
Message: <574ff301$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2016-06-02 01:22, also sprach clipka:

> No; the BIOS uses the same principle, but different interrupts.
>
> BIOS-level disk I/O, for instance, uses INT 13h.

I haven't been inside of Windows since ... XP.  Do they *still* use
that?  I recall an early Linux decision was to get the hell away from
the BIOS asap and stay away.  -- Device drivers uber alles.

(I kept waiting for M$ to invent the swap partition, to speed things up
a little.)

I was always annoyed that when M$ bought Seattle Computer Products' DOS,
they didn't rearrange the function numbers before releasing it.  It
would have been nice if the disk functions were grouped together for
when referring to The Green Book.  Instead, it was obvious that as each
function was added, it just went to the end of the list. So,
open/read/write/close were like 5/6/7/8. Then delete was 23, rename was
54. A real pita for book referring.

--
dik