POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oculus Rift lock-down? : Re: Oculus Rift lock-down? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 23:39:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oculus Rift lock-down?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 May 2016 14:30:20
Message: <57449dbc$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/24/2016 10:05 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 5/24/2016 4:33 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Don't you love it how reporters tend to get their stuff entirely wrong?
>

> Even Tech journalists have to earn a living. What makes better copy?
> Evil Media Corporation spoils things for Game-y Independent Developers.
> Or, They only allow approved headsets to run their games.
>
> BTW Did anyone say how the kit gets approved and how much does it cost?

Yeah... Well, they need to stop doing that. This is why like 90% of the
US trusts altie med people as much/more than actual experts, and at
least half show low trust in what seems to come out of the mouths of
scientists - an endless stream of freaking "journalists" putting out
"better copy", by exaggerating claims, claiming things they imagined
might be true, if they sort of squint a bit at what was described to
them, or just flat out making shit up, based on some mish mash of what
they are supposed to be reporting, and the last sci-fi TV show or movie
they saw, which might have been vaguely related to the topic of the
research.

This is, in fact, how you a) destroy the credibility of journalism, and
b) embolden the liars and con artists who, after all, are not really
making any less well founded, absurd, or unreasonable, claims than what
was in the professional journalists, "good copy".

And, oh yeah, I am definitely using the "" this time in entirely the
right way...

Oh, and to be clear.. I do not at all think that its any less dangerous
to do this when its politics, or game development, or whose cat got
caught in a tree last week. It all goes towards creating a world in
which its impossible to tell the difference between the facts (even for
the skeptical and well informed), all of the time, and a world of
complete fictions.

Sometimes this is merely annoying as heck - when you can, and know how
to, find the real facts. Other times... damned dangerous, and one
occasionally wishes it was also criminal, and the crime enforceable
(which is, sadly, the real problem in most cases, even when the
statement "is" criminal in some manner).

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get