POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 05:08:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: scott
Date: 18 May 2016 04:18:21
Message: <573c254d$1@news.povray.org>
> There is a fallacy here: In contrast to a bipolar transistor, where the
> voltage drop is more or less constant, in a FET it is the resistance
> that is more or less constant (and low but non-zero), while the voltage
> drop may actually vary wildly, depending on the current flowing;

I thought the resistance (between source and drain) changes
significantly as you change the gate voltage though? Otherwise how does
a FET amplifier work? Like this one:

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/Electronics2/PHY2028-C16.1.gif

That's the bit I'm missing/not understanding. If the effective
resistance (Vds/Id) is always a constant, near zero (much less than 10K
I assume), then wouldn't that mean the outputs in that circuit (Vd and
Vs) were always 7.5V or thereabouts?