POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux: best way to communicate between processes? : Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:56:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 17 May 2016 16:20:11
Message: <573b7cfb$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/05/2016 08:18 AM, scott wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas everyone.

No problem. I enjoy interesting problems. ;-)

> Just looked up named pipes - it seems you can only have a single
> "reader"? I need more than one process to be able to see the signal.

Yeah, you would need one named pipe per process.

> Sockets should work ok, or as you state, just create/delete an empty
> file somewhere. I'll have to experiment.

Good luck. ;-)

> I guess at some point I might
> want to expand the signal to more than one pin, so being able to
> communicate an "int" rather than a "bool" would actually be more scalable.

Sure thing. I can certainly understand that. Putting the contents into a
small file seems the simplest way. (I'm not 100% sure of the semantics
of multiple processes accessing a file concurrently - unless it's via
mmap...)