POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux: best way to communicate between processes? : Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:48:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes?
From: clipka
Date: 17 May 2016 14:23:28
Message: <573b61a0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.05.2016 um 09:18 schrieb scott:
> On 16/05/2016 18:21, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 16/05/2016 01:47 PM, scott wrote:
>>> What's the best way for this root process to "broadcast" to other
>>> (non-root) processes when that pin goes high? It will only happen at
>>> maximum frequency of about every 2 seconds, but any delay between the
>>> pin going high and the other processes seeing it should be minimal.
>>
>> So you're mostly worried about latency. (?)
>
> Yes, but we're talking a tenth of a second being fine here, microseconds
> are not needed!

In that case, by all means do pick whatever method you find easiest to
wrap your head around. Tenths of a second, that's an eternity even for a
Raspi.

Alternatively, pick whatever method you most like to learn more about.

Dbus and MPI are certainly overpowered for your purpose; from what I
know, dbus is primarily geared towards high-performance bulk data
transfer (real-time audio signals would be a showcase example), and MPI
is actually a high-level interface standard to other inter-process comm
technology such as TCP/IP, dbus, or whatever.