POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux: best way to communicate between processes? : Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:46:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux: best way to communicate between processes?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 May 2016 13:44:15
Message: <573b586f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 17 May 2016 11:44:03 +0100, scott wrote:

>> ... or you might look to see if the Raspbian kernel has "capabilities"
>> functionality that would let you grant a non-
>> root user access to the GPIO pins.
>
> I did look this up previously, and the solution seemed to be to change
> the permissions of the entire memory map, so that non-root users could
> access it. I don't like the sound of that either :)

Yeah, that sounds like overkill to me. I haven't done a lot with
capabilities myself (it's been a few years, too, when I was contracting
for a company that did a lot of work in Linux kernel process and resource
management - some pretty cool tech that unfortunately is now defunct
because the company went out of business - the kernel mods were OSS, but
the control daemons were all proprietary).

Jim