POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: scott
Date: 11 May 2016 04:05:47
Message: <5732e7db$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unless, by "how my PC works", you mean why it needs a million tiny (or
>> not so tiny) capacitors on the motherboard,
>
> I have to admit, I have frequently wondered why this *digital* device
> has hundreds of *analog* components on it (mostly capacitors and
> inductors). I mean, I get why they're on the motherboard rather than on
> the silicon die, but why do you need them at all?

Aha - so you are not just interested in a fictional perfect logic device
then? :-) Start at the beginning of the book. All will make sense.

> Is there a simple relationship between circuit design and heat output?

voltage x current

> mean, is it something as simple as number of switching elements and how
> fast they switch per second? Or is it something more complicated?

As clipka mentioned, a transistor used in digital circuits is either in
a state where the current flow is zero ("off") OR the voltage drop is
zero ("on"), so heat output is usually zero. It's switching between
those two states, when both voltage and current are non-zero, that
significant heat is dissipated within the transistor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy