POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: scott
Date: 11 May 2016 03:38:56
Message: <5732e190@news.povray.org>
> Which is why under many lighting conditions /anything/ employing
> reflection -- whether it is reflective LCDs or e-ink -- is more
> efficient than even the best LEDs.

My old company had an LCD design where half of each sub-pixel was
reflective and half transmissive. It looked just as good under direct
sunlight as in a dark room. However it needed a much brighter (=larger
and hotter) backlight and obviously was more expensive. You can find
this technology in some old high-end Nokia phones and in BMWs with
built-in satnav older than 2-3 years. I don't think any consumer stuff
uses those any more unfortunately, mainly due to the high cost, but it's
still used for military LCDs.