POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: Stephen
Date: 10 May 2016 15:49:42
Message: <57323b56$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/10/2016 6:56 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 10.05.2016 um 19:38 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 5/10/2016 4:47 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> Am 10.05.2016 um 10:36 schrieb Stephen:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=291ET6Py6H8
>
> Averted!
> Praise be to the GEMA who protected me from whatever song may have been
> lurking in the video...

Happy, happy talk.

>>> Seriously -- I see how one might argue about /some/ of his songs, but
>>> let me say just one word:
>>>
>>> Suzanne.

24 seconds, I lasted. And that was pushing it.
I would rather listen to something like this.

[Victoria Wood spoiler]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKRcm5v30tw

>> You're not a fan of "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" are you, by any
>> chance?
>
> Never read it;

Hallelujah! You were saved a fate worse than boredom.

^^^
¦¦¦

;-)

> I've heard that in a nutshell it's about some suicidal
> depressive guy. Not sure what that has to do with "Suzanne" though --
> while varous of Cohen's songs do indeed tend towards the dark blue end
> of the spectrum, I don't think "Suzanne" falls into that category.

Well there was a whole movement of youths that read it and didn't live
to be anyone's ancestors.
I may be a wee bit biased. I grew up going to parties where there were
whole rooms of girls swooning over the thought of a romantic death. And
the boys competing with each other over who was the most lovelorn*. It
really put a dampener on things.
And none of them had taken drugs.

I suppose it was pre-goths.
And I don't do introspection, either.

*That may just have been a ploy for nefarious reasons.

>>> Anyone disliking /that/ song must have inhaled too much petrol fumes
>>> while working offshore.
>>
>> Funnily enough. It was when I was working offshore I gave up listening
>> to pop music.
>
> You wouldn't call Cohen's music "pop music", would you?

Yes, I would. (For most values of popular.)

--

Regards
     Stephen