POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 9 May 2016 04:21:55
Message: <573048a3$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/05/2016 07:45 AM, scott wrote:
> On 06/05/2016 20:35, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Question: Are there any books out there that actually *do* that?
>>
>> I mean, what little I know about digital logic is gleaned from
>> children's books and Wikipedia. I've never seen a *book* that actually
>> *explains* this stuff. (Unless it's an electronics book, in which case
>> it talks about impedance and capacitance and other such irrelevant
>> details.)
>
> It's not irrelevant if you actually plan to make anything work. All
> digital electronics (apart from in some basic simulator) is analog
> anyway :-)

Yeah, but it helps to understand the theory before throwing all the
obfuscating real-world complexities into the mix.

> The book I've seen thrown about in many places is this one:
>
> http://artofelectronics.net/the-book/table-of-contents/
>
> Chapter 10 is "digital electronics", but many of the preceding chapters
> are worth understanding before you start to make anything "digital".

OK, I'll take a look.

> In
> the end, a digital "gate" is actually just transistors, so if you
> understand how transistors work you'll understand why a gate behaves the
> way it does.

Or, to put it more correctly, an arrangement of transistors is an
imperfect implementation of how a logic gate is supposed to behave.

Presumably if you were to build a gate out of water valves or lego
bricks, it would have a different set of imperfections.