POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quantum Pov, soon? : Re: Quantum Pov, soon? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:53:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quantum Pov, soon?
From: scott
Date: 6 May 2016 06:48:10
Message: <572c766a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Has anyone actually got a sign-up to it?
>
> I've got a friend who received his login information earlier today.  He
> said that using the system is like learning a foreign language - he's
> having to relearn a lot in order to see how to use it.

Yes I got mine overnight, I've just been reading through the user guide.
It's written in much the same manner as a book would be on digital
circuits, start off with what a "zero" and "one" is, then simple logic
gates, more complex circuits, then latches and adders, then things like
RAM and a CPU.

However, it took me several re-reads and lots of thought just to get the
"zero and one" idea for this. I've read through the next few sections,
but most of it is just meaningless for the time being. Indeed, it all
seems quite odd, but at the same time I get the feeling for the
potential of such systems. It's not so much a foreign language (assuming
you are OK with matrices, complex numbers and probabilities), just that
it's being used in a completely different way.

One thing is absolutely certain though, I'm not about to write a
raytracer to run on this thing anytime soon :-)

It did remind me slightly of Andrew's writings on Haskell, how you code
up all these gates, and all the qubits are some super-position, and
nothing gets resolved until you actually make the measurement at the end.